(Update 1st Nov 2016: Closed: Stairway Bakery and Coffee Shop at Fryern Arcade)
(Update Nov 2015: Relish Canteen at Chandler’s Ford Central Precinct opened on 3rd November 2015. )
(Update 10 Oct 2014: The last trading day for Asante coffee shop on Winchester Road in Chandler’s Ford will be on Saturday October 18th 2014.)
Original post (below):
When we first moved to Chandler’s Ford 13 years ago, the first coffee shop I visited was The Coffee Room, at the Methodist Church, on Winchester Road.
This Coffee Room is the hub for the community. It’s always bursting with joy.
Many mothers especially would have fond memories of meeting friends with their small children at The Coffee Room.
I visited The Coffee Room at least once a week for many years.
It’s such a welcoming place with the most friendly people around. Prices for the drinks are kept so low that you almost feel guilty, but the quality of the drinks is never compromised.
Many locals would tell you that just more than 10 years ago, it was a struggle to find a place for a decent cup of tea and coffee in Chandler’s Ford.
But now, there’re at least five coffee shops in Chandler’s Ford — four on Winchester Road, and one on Hiltingbury Road.
Asante is unique as it’s a charity-run coffee shop. 100% of the profit go to Kenya, to provide shelter, food and education for street children in Kenya. Asante means ‘Thank you!’ in Swahili. The shop features a cheerful African theme. Their current work is to support the Life Centre High School project in Kisumu. You can read more inspiring stories from the website of the charity Citizens 4 Change (c4c), founded by Paul and Shirley Barter. There’s another Asante coffee shop in Romsey.
K’Sue Raa is a rather new coffee shop, about one and a half year old. It’s located at the Precinct. I asked the owner Sue the origin of the name K’Sue Raa. Sue explained that it comes from the beautiful song Que Sera Sera.
*(Update Nov 2015): After Sue sold her business in autumn 2015, in November 2015, Relish Canteen at Chandler’s Ford Central Precinct opened.*
Another friendly and popular coffee shop is Stairway Bakery and Coffee Shop, in the Fryern Arcade. I often see people relaxing and enjoying their food and drinks outside the shop.
Bay Leaves Larder is a wonderful community store and a top class Deli in Hiltingbury Road. The shop is also a member of Hampshire Fare, which promotes local producers. You’ll find many hidden treasures in the shop; you can also relax and enjoy fragrant tea or coffee with lovely home-made cakes in the coffee shop.
Are there any more interesting coffee shops in the area?
Do you have your favourite local coffee shop? Please leave a comment and share with us.
- Relish Canteen at Chandler’s Ford Central Precinct
- Asante Family Remains Optimistic Despite Chandler’s Ford Shop Closure
- Asante Chandler’s Ford Coffee Shop Closure
- Coffee Shops in Chandler’s Ford
- Coffee And Free WiFi In Chandler’s Ford
- In Love With Chandler’s Ford Coffee Shops
- Fryern Arcade Old And New
- The Big Issue In Chandler’s Ford
- Fryern Arcade In Chandler’s Ford: Major Changes Are Coming
- How I love Your Comments
- Where Is The Centre Of Chandler’s Ford?
- Peter Green Coffee Shop
- The Mall Shopping Centre In Chandler’s Ford
- Marie Curie Fundraising Success At Chandler’s Ford Asante
- August 24: Asante For Marie Curie Cancer Care
- What Had Happened To The Fryern Arcade Public Toilets?
- Supermarket ‘threat’ to charity coffee shop (From Daily Echo)
- Charity coffee shop ‘forced out of town’ (From Daily Echo)
Never miss out on another blog post. Subscribe here:
Subscribe to Blog via Email