Last Saturday (24th January 2015), Chandler’s Ford became the centre of media attention as a protest took place outside Chandler’s Ford Methodist Church.
A Muslim Conference was being held inside the Methodist Church on Winchester Road that evening.
If you have missed the news and important notices from Eastleigh Police, please read this post published on 24th January 2015: Muslim Conference at Methodist Church Chandler’s Ford.
Today, Reverend Peter Cornick, the minister of Chandler’s Ford Methodist Church, wrote to inform us of the chain of events last Saturday.
I’m sure people from Chandler’s Ford have been eager to find out: What was the Muslim Conference about? Why in the Methodist Church? When was the church warned about the protest? What happened next?
Let’s read Reverend Peter Cornick’s message below:
We hire our premises to many people, but you may think it unusual to allow a group of Muslims to use it. As long as no ‘worship’ takes place, it is perfectly acceptable under Methodist law.
The Muslims concerned, all local people, wanted to hold a discussion about their way forward and future events – including an ice-skating trip! – and have a social gathering.
In truth, we were, as a church, simply hiring our premises. But events made it become so much more.
The day before the event
The day before the event, I became aware of a planned protest against the Muslim group. I sought advice from many sources, including our national head office and the police: should I cancel the event? The Muslim group appealed to us to show Christian hospitality in a moment of need.
Whilst on the phone trying to get advice from one source, I was looking straight through the yellow cross on our front doors. Suddenly, the answer seemed crystal clear.
Thanks to the police
Despite some local disruption, the Muslim group held their meeting and the police controlled the protest superbly.
I spent the evening listening to some of the discussion and talking to many of the participants. The message I received was of a delightful group of people, eager to contribute to this community, work with others, and promote better understanding between us all.
Because of circumstances, I found myself talking to men and women who were different from me; my own assumptions were challenged that night.
The Methodist Church calls us to be a good neighbour
And my own Christian faith grew. The Methodist Church calls us to be a good neighbour in the community and to challenge injustice. I often preach about both, but when the Muslim community asked me – and the church – to stand by them, I had to put my Christian faith into practice.”
Note: This message is also published in The Link Magazine, February 2015, Chandler’s Ford Methodist Church.
Here are a few pictures of Chandler’s Ford Methodist Church, on Winchester Road, Chandler’s Ford, SO53 2GJ:
Related posts about Chandler’s Ford Methodist Church, events, and its people, on Chandler’s Ford Today:
- Eastleigh Police: Muslim Conference At Chandler’s Ford Methodist Church Tonight
- How Methodist Church Dovetail Centre Surprises Me
- The Crossroad: Musical Drama At Methodist Church
- Age Concern Carol Service At Methodist Church
- Chandler’s Ford Guide Book Entry
- Fryern Funtasia 2013: Methodist Church And Ahmad Tea
- Asda Eastleigh: Chandler’s Ford Churches Together Carol Singing 2014
- 6 Things That Put Chandler’s Ford On The Map In 2014
- Christmas Greetings For Chandler’s Ford 2014
- Fabulous Things To Enjoy This Christmas In Chandler’s Ford
- The Unique Madding Crowd Concerts
- Age Concern Chandler’s Ford Carol Service 2014
- Comedy Review: Ladies Of Iniquity by MDG Players
- Heart-warming Chandler’s Ford Joint Charities 41st Christmas Market 2014
- The Shambelurklers Return: Support National Autistic Society
- Building Strong Fairtrade Community In Chandler’s Ford
- Re-dedication Of Chandler’s Ford War Memorial
- Coffee And Free WiFi In Chandler’s Ford
- Splendid St. George’s Day Parade
- The Crossroad: Brilliant Performance
- Charming Dickensian Christmas in Chandler’s Ford
- Have You Seen The Most Charming Nativity Set In Chandler’s Ford?
- Beautiful Carol Singing At Asda In Chandler’s Ford
- Glorious Fryern Funtasia 2013 In Chandler’s Ford (And It Didn’t Rain)
- How Much Is A Cuppa In Chandler’s Ford?
- Coffee Shops In Chandler’s Ford