I need your help to come up with an achievable, fabulous ‘to-do’ list for the next two weeks for Christmas in Chandler’s Ford.
I’m inspired by an article “14 things to do with the kids this Christmas” by Bitterne Park. In Chandler’s Ford, let’s create our own ‘to-do’ list.
(Don’t we just love making ‘lists’?)
I suggest we create a Chandler’s Ford and Eastleigh specific list. Ice-skating in Winchester? Lovely, but a bit too far I’m afraid.
Yesterday afternoon a few friends and I came up with this ‘to-do’ list over mince pies and tea.
1. Visit Chandler’s Ford Library
Find a good book, buy a second-hand book or small gift in the library, or sign up for exciting courses for the new year.
2. Attend at least one church service and/or carol singing
You can find a list of Christmas church services in Chandler’s Ford Churches Together website.
With so many churches offering different Christmas services (to suit different tastes), there will be a church service / carol service that suits your busy schedule.
- Carol singing at Asda: Monday 15th December 2014 at 7.30 pm.
- church@four (of Parish Church of Chandler’s Ford): carol singing in Hiltingbury on 21st December (Sunday).
- Carols in the pub: Methodist Church will be carol singing at the Halfway Inn (114 Winchester Road SO53 2DW) between 6.30 and 9 pm on Tuesday 23rd December. This has previously been a popular event. Do go and join them.
3. Meet Santa (of your choice) / visit a Christmas grotto with young ones
- There is a Santa Grotto at Asda by Chandler’s Ford & Itchen Valley Rotary Club.
- There is a Santa Grotto at Brambridge Park manned by Eastleigh Lions Club.
- Santa Specials at Lakeside: Ride on a steam train to see Santa at Eastleigh Lakeside Country Park, Wide Lane SO50 5PE.
- Visit Lyn’s Christmas grotto at her house in Chandler’s Ford: 17 Peverells Wood Avenue, Chandler’s Ford SO53 2AX
4. Enjoy a good show with your loved ones
If you have missed some great performances locally in the past few weeks, don’t worry, there are still fabulous concerts or performances in Chandler’s Ford:
Thornden Hall: Upcoming events from Thornden Hall include:
- West End Singers Sunday 14 December, 2.30pm
- Royal Opera House presents LIVE! Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (The Royal Ballet) Tuesday 16 December, 7.15pm
- Thornden Christmas Concert Wednesday 17 December, 7pm
- Wyvern College Christmas Concert Thursday 18 December, 7pm
- Pops Incorporated UK presents Christmas Cheers Friday 19 December, 7.30pm
5. Singalong at The Hilt
23rd December 2014 from 5pm:
Christmas Carols at Cuckoo Bushes Hall for a festive sing-along, with a glass of mulled wine, a mince pie and merriment.
Details: The Hilt Nov/Dec Newsletter (pdf)
6. Go for a local walk
Have a walk, meditate, relax. Where to?
7. Have a mince pie and hot drinks in a local coffee shop (again, with your loved ones).
The Coffee Room has kept this tradition for years and their mince pies are lovely.
Other coffee shops in Chandler’s Ford include:
- Peter Green Coffee Shop on School Lane
- K’Sue Raa Coffee Bar at the Central Precinct
- Bay Leaves Larder and Kelly’s Coffee Shop on Hiltingbury Road
- Stairway Bakery and Costa Coffee at the Fryern Arcade
8. Buy a copy of Radio Times
I was told Radio Times is a must. So – buy it from our local newsagents, such as Andersons News on Hiltingbury Road.
Note: Below is a list from readers’ feedback:
9. See festive lights in Chandler’s Ford
Take a walk around after dark and see the festive lights people have put up.
Now over to you!
Surely you have many other good tips, of what to do, where to go for this Christmas in Chandler’s Ford.
Please share your tips in the comment below, and I’ll add them to this list. Many thanks.