D & G stands for Des & Gabby, a couple who ran D & G Hardware in Canberra, capital city of Australia.
D & G later returned to Winchester and ran their independent, much-loved hardware business in St. George’s Street in Winchester for about 30 years.
In June 2006, Toby Roberts took over D & G Hardware in Winchester from 86-year-old Des.
Taking over century-old Tanchoux in Surrey
In April 2011, Toby acquired Tanchoux Ironmongers in Grayshott, in Hindhead, Surrey.
Tanchoux has a 110-year history. It was started by a Belgian businessman and Toby keeps the Tanchoux name as its brand has been well established in the community.
In April 2013, Toby opened another D & G store in Locks Heath Shopping Village. Now Toby runs a total of four shops, from Winchester to Surrey.
It is astonishing to see the long history of D & G, which can be tracked back to Australia.
I asked Toby what makes his business so special and so successful. He told me he is actually not doing something over complicated. He knows what people want, and he is happy that he has loyal employees and customers. Toby loves the delightful community and the people here in Chandler’s Ford, and he’s pleased that Fryern Arcade has been regenerated.
“I’m just a down-to-earth man doing a very traditional business.”
“I meet people’s needs. I love serving the community.”
By Toby Roberts, owner of D & G Hardware and Homeware
Now let’s have a look at the charming D & G Hardware and Homeware in Chandler’s Ford.
Related posts on the Fryern Arcade, Chandler’s Ford:
- New Grover Butchers At Fryern Arcade
- Fryern Arcade: Butchers And Post Office
- Fryern Arcade WH Smith Local & Post Office Open
- Fryern Arcade Post Office: Open 7 Days A Week?
- What Had Happened To The Fryern Arcade Public Toilets?
- Fryern Arcade D & G Hardware Store
- Fryern Arcade Old And New
- Fryern Arcade’s Fresh Look: MIBI, D & G
- Fryern Arcade In Chandler’s Ford: Major Changes Are Coming
- Buying Christmas Trees At Fryern Arcade
- “We’re Sorry To Be Leaving Fryern…But…”
- Where Is The Centre Of Chandler’s Ford?
- How I love Your Comments
- Coffee And Free WiFi In Chandler’s Ford
- In Love With Chandler’s Ford Coffee Shops
- D & G Hardware: From Canberra To Chandler’s Ford
- Nostalgia: My Stamp Collection
- The Big Issue In Chandler’s Ford
- The Myth Of Thomas The Tank Engine
- Who Are The Heavenly Knitters in Chandler’s Ford?
- Table Hogging