Update: WH Smith and Post Office Fryern Arcade Christmas 2014 opening times:
I saw this notice on the window of WH Smith and Post Office at the Fryern Arcade recently, about its Christmas 2014 opening times:
Monday 22 Dec and Tuesday 23 Dec: 8am to 6pm
Wed 24th Dec: 8am to 12.30pm
Thursday 25 Dec to 26 Dec: closed
Sat 27 Dec: 8am to 6pm
Sunday 28 Dec: closed
(Update 20 Oct 2014: WH Smith in Chandler’s Ford opens from Monday to Saturday from 8am to 6pm. Shop closes on Sunday.)
Today WH Smith entered Chandler’s Ford. WH Smith and the post office are now combined and the shop is located at the Fryern Arcade, between Roban James lighting shop and Boots.
Chandler’s Ford WH Smith Local and the post office will open from 7am to 7pm from Monday to Saturday, and 11am to 4pm on Sunday.
WH Smith Local and the post office have now replaced two local favourite shops closed just over a year ago. Fryern Dry Cleaners by Steve and Karen closed last March, and the Mialls closed their Arcade Book Shop at Christmas 2012 after 24 years in business.
Getting to know Fryern Arcade WH Smith and post office
This afternoon I met Val Athwal, an accountant who owned this new family business. Val told me his daughter Dal is the sub postmistress, and his son Pradeep is in charge of the WH Smith retail business, and Val’s daughter-in-law Sarah is the office manager.
In my previous post I mentioned that the new post office will have a prominent space for tobacco. However Val Athwal told me that their new shop is not selling cigerettes as he is not sure if Chandler’s Ford people now prefer real cigerettes or electronic cigarettes. Val asked my opinion. Unfortunately I don’t smoke.
The Fryern Arcade WH Smith Local and post office has planned a grand opening ceremony on Friday 12th of September.
Radical changes at the Fryern Arcade
Chandler’s Ford Fryern Arcade has gone through drastic changes in the past year.
MIBI and D & G presented new fabulous looks after they moved to other sites within the Fryern Arcade.
Costa Coffee and WH Smith Local: Open 7 days a week
Later Costa Coffee opened on 3rd May this year and became the only store at the Fryern Arcade operating 7 days a week.
Now WH Smith Local and the post office will join Costa Coffee and open 7 days a week.
Fryern Arcade has become an important, vibrant, and thriving business and social centre in Chandler’s Ford. A year ago, scenes of shop closures were rather upsetting.
Today at the Fryern Arcade, the new WH Smith Local and post office seemed busy as the queue was long. There were many magazines and newspapers, but the store does not sell books.
The shop sells lots of sweets, small gifts, stationery, and a large section of cards.
Of course the shop also provides usual post office services, including money exchange and selling tickets for National Express coaches.
Related posts on the Fryern Arcade, Chandler’s Ford:
- New Grover Butchers At Fryern Arcade
- Fryern Arcade: Butchers And Post Office
- Fryern Arcade WH Smith Local & Post Office Open
- Fryern Arcade Post Office: Open 7 Days A Week?
- What Had Happened To The Fryern Arcade Public Toilets?
- Fryern Arcade D & G Hardware Store
- Fryern Arcade Old And New
- Fryern Arcade’s Fresh Look: MIBI, D & G
- Fryern Arcade In Chandler’s Ford: Major Changes Are Coming
- Buying Christmas Trees At Fryern Arcade
- “We’re Sorry To Be Leaving Fryern…But…”
- Where Is The Centre Of Chandler’s Ford?
- How I love Your Comments
- Coffee And Free WiFi In Chandler’s Ford
- In Love With Chandler’s Ford Coffee Shops
- D & G Hardware: From Canberra To Chandler’s Ford
- Nostalgia: My Stamp Collection
- The Big Issue In Chandler’s Ford
- The Myth Of Thomas The Tank Engine
- Who Are The Heavenly Knitters in Chandler’s Ford?
- Table Hogging