Recently the Eastleigh Basics Bank marked the feeding of 8,000 people as Eastleigh Lions Club President Philip Spearey, along with other Club members, made a £1,000 donation towards the continuation of the basics bank project.
Dan Brain, Chairman of the Eastleigh Basics Bank, praised the generosity of the Lions Club and the community of Eastleigh for making the feeding of so many people possible.
Dan Brain said, “When we opened the Eastleigh Basics Bank three years ago we never imagined supporting so many people at their time of need. Nor did we contemplate the enthusiasm and generosity with which the local community has supported us. The donation from the Lions fundraising efforts over the last year is a prime example of this and we are very grateful for their hard work in supporting us in this way.”
In addition to the £1,000 cheque, the Lions had been tasked to bring along at least one tin for the Basics Bank to each of their monthly meetings at the Holiday Inn in Eastleigh during Philip’s year as president. He expected enthusiasm to wane after a couple of months, but the tins kept on coming right through to his last meeting.
One member, who had some surplus fruit and vegetables from his garden, auctioned these off at the monthly meetings to convert the perishable food into extra tins and packets for the Basics Bank.
- Article Series: Eastleigh Lions: Message In A Bottle
- World Sight Day: Lions Club of Eastleigh Supports Open Sight
- Santa’s Grotto at Brambridge Park – Christmas 2015
- Article Series: Eastleigh Lions: Champions of the Blind
- Inspirational Eastleigh Volunteers Fair
- Eastleigh Lions: Brambridge Park Santa’s Grotto 2014
- Eastleigh Lions: Bravery Certificates
- Eastleigh Lions: £1000 To Eastleigh Basics Bank
Never miss out on another blog post. Subscribe here:
Subscribe to Blog via Email