How to be safe in a thatched roof property?
According to Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service, 90 percent of thatch fires are down to a faulty flue or chimney. The thatch is designed to repel water which makes extinguishing these fires difficult.
These photos of the Potters Heron Hotel in Ampfield were taken by local resident Robbie Sprague this morning. The hotel went up in flames last night and more than 170 emergency service personnel attended the fire.
Find out more on Thatched Living on the website of Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service.
This video below from Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service gives you first hand knowledge from firefighters and thatch owners who have had thatch fires.
Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service: 16 Oct 2009
Sharing your Potters Heron memories
What are your memories and stories about the Potters Heron hotel? Write to share with us.