What book are you reading?
World Book Day 2014 is on the 6th of March (Thursday).
To celebrate World Book Day, on Chandler’s Ford Today, I want to create a Chandler’s Ford Reading List from today.
I want to find out what books we are all reading. I need you to tell me and share your book.
On World Book Day, you’ll see lots of local children dressed up as Harry Potter, Snow White, Sherlock Holmes, Peter Rabbit, Willy Wonka, James Bond, Alex Rider, Tin Tin, The Cat in the Hat, and many other characters.
Onesies will be visible in every corner of Chandler’s Ford.
Don’t say I haven’t warned you.
In my family, we are reading these books:
- Janet is reading: The Battle For Singapore: The true story of the greatest catastrophe of World War II by Peter Thompson
- Ben is reading: The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien
- Hugh is reading: Play for Scala: Covers Play 2 by Peter Hilton
I have created three I’m Reading posters from this wonderful website:
Why am I reading The Battle For Singapore?
Last year, in my Janet’s Notebook blog, I wrote many posts relating to World War Two in Malaya and Singapore, and its impacts on civilians, prisoners of war, and their children.
- Pilgrimage of a Son: How Changi Cross Made History
- The Incredible Journey Of Harry Stogden’s Changi Cross In Singapore
- Eric Cordingly – Diary of the Changi POW Chaplain in Singapore
- Remembrance Day in Southampton
- The Uplifting Changi Murals and Stanley Warren
- Changi Stones and Prisoners of War in Singapore
- Story of a British Veteran’s Pingat Jasa Medal from Malaysia
I’ve also read books on The Malayan Emergency (1948 – 1960).
I want to find out why Britain lost Singapore, on the 15th of February in 1942. It was also the Chinese New Year day. My mother told me that they did not get to finish their New Year meal as the Japanese invaded.
The Second World War in the Far East is a subject of enduring fascination for me. In particular, the Fall of Singapore was humiliating and controversial. Thousands of civilians and POWs suffered the appalling cruelties of the Japanese occupation.
When I found the book The Battle For Singapore when visiting Romsey Library, I knew it was the perfect book to help me understand the war from different perspectives.
What book are you reading?
Share the book you are reading with us on Chandler’s Ford Today. Tell me the title of the book and the author. I will create a poster for you about your book.
If you wish, please tell us why you chose the book and share your review. Thank you.
Thank you for helping me create this Chandler’s Ford Reading List. Share what you are reading. Now.
Ask your family what books they are reading, and let me know.
How to share your book?
Tell me your name, the book (and author) in the comment box below,
or email me: email@example.com, and I’ll create a poster for you.
Find out the books that people in Chandler’s Ford are reading in this post – What Are You Reading?