My name is Danielle Young. I used to work at Asante coffee shop in Chandler’s Ford for about three and a half years. Two of which I was manager.
I now work at The Toynbee School in Bodycoats Road as a learning support assistant for the visually impaired students.
Asante was a great place to meet your friends, chat and catch up with other Chandler’s Fordians.Such a great community where everyone just gets on! A bit like the US TV sitcom ‘Cheers’ where everybody knows your name. That’s what I will miss the most – the warm, friendly atmosphere whenever you would walk into the shop and guarantee to see a familiar face.
The Asante family: upbeat and optimistic
Asante had their closing party on Sunday 19th October and the shop was filled with happy smiley faces of staff members old and new, loyal customers and the trustees of the charity Paul and Shirley Barter. Without them the charity Citizens 4 change (c4c) would cease to exist and the poor souls of Kenya would continue to live in the rubbish dumps searching for food and shelter.
With the underlying sadness that the mother shop had closed her doors for the final time it was Costa who suppressed the morale that was once the heartbeat of the shop itself.
However, the “Asante family” still remained upbeat and optimistic for the future of the sister shop in Romsey.
My opinion is when you run a business you have to be prepared to take on the competition. There was just no competition with a big name like Costa and it’s easy to see how successful they have become over the years. I mean you only have to open you eyes to see the brand name everywhere you look.
It was just terribly unfortunate that Costa decided to set up in Chandler’s Ford especially with a small charity coffee shop just across the road trying to make a profit to educate the street children of Kisumu. And so it is, that the inevitable has come to a head so I say this…go forth! To Asante in Romsey. And to Costa? One small latte please.
See you around.
- Relish Canteen at Chandler’s Ford Central Precinct
- Asante Family Remains Optimistic Despite Chandler’s Ford Shop Closure
- Asante Chandler’s Ford Coffee Shop Closure
- Coffee Shops in Chandler’s Ford
- Coffee And Free WiFi In Chandler’s Ford
- In Love With Chandler’s Ford Coffee Shops
- Fryern Arcade Old And New
- The Big Issue In Chandler’s Ford
- Fryern Arcade In Chandler’s Ford: Major Changes Are Coming
- How I love Your Comments
- Where Is The Centre Of Chandler’s Ford?
- Peter Green Coffee Shop
- The Mall Shopping Centre In Chandler’s Ford
- Marie Curie Fundraising Success At Chandler’s Ford Asante
- August 24: Asante For Marie Curie Cancer Care
- What Had Happened To The Fryern Arcade Public Toilets?
- Supermarket ‘threat’ to charity coffee shop (From Daily Echo)
- Charity coffee shop ‘forced out of town’ (From Daily Echo)