Today’s guessing game we would love to hear about your Christmas memories.
(Sorry for being one day late this week of this popular Saturday Guessing Game series. It takes a lot of time to obtain photos from various sources, while also trying to untangle Christmas lights, get a friend to jump start our car – thank you chippy minton for your help, and send out Christmas cards that sort of thing. We hope you enjoy the photos today.)
Our loyal reader Mary Peterson sent us these images which she took in September 1984. Thank you Mary for these great photos.
Do you recognise any of these places? Who used to run these businesses? How has the area changed over the years?
1) Paul’s Patisserie – well we know this shop is no longer a patisserie. What new business has just started there yesterday? Or what’s before that?
2) Shops and cars – these cars look classic. Could you comment on the trades and the vehicles of the time please? These days we see more of SUV and MPV models!
In today’s guessing game, we are asking you to identify
1 – a bus and its surrounding area
2 – an upcoming event in Chandler’s Ford
3 – a local business in Chandler’s Ford [Read more…] about Chandler’s Ford Saturday Guessing Game (20)
The photos in the past two weeks focused on Hursley Road. Today’s photos are slightly different.
1) Where was this?
Today we continue to share a few precious images collected by Andy Vining’s family. Andy’s family farmed the North and South Millers Dale and surrounding areas for over 100 years, living in Hiltonbury Farmhouse until 1976.
These images may not be very clear, but we hope you get a sense of what the area was like in those days. We hope these inspire your memories and you can share what you remember with us. [Read more…] about Chandler’s Ford Saturday Guessing Game (18)
Andy Vining’s family farmed the North and South Millers Dale and surrounding areas for over 100 years, living in Hiltonbury Farmhouse until 1976. Last week Andy dropped off a pile of old photographs of Chandler’s Ford for us to share with readers.
These photos have been organised systematically by Andy’s family – comparing old and new scenes at roughly the same location.
You can click to enlarge the photos to get better views. [Read more…] about Chandler’s Ford Saturday Guessing Game (17)
1) Do you recognise this place? What’s the name of this business?
We have left you a small clue (an English alphabet) in the photo. What’re your memories of this place?
How has the place changed? Please share. [Read more…] about Chandler’s Ford Saturday Guessing Game (16)
1) Where was this shop in Chandler’s Ford (in the 1950s)?
Do you have a story to share about this image?
According to Doug Clews, the photo was kindly supplied to him by a former Chandler’s Ford resident, Peter Smith, now deceased, who used to live over the shop with his wife Muriel. [Read more…] about Chandler’s Ford Saturday Guessing Game (15)
Where is this roundabout in Chandler’s Ford? What’s the building to the right?
What’s the parking situation in this area? What’s around this roundabout? [Read more…] about Chandler’s Ford Saturday Guessing Game (14)
1) Where is this milestone in Chandler’s Ford located?
This old milestone is situated 69 miles from London, 6 miles from Winchester to Southampton. [Read more…] about Chandler’s Ford Saturday Guessing Game (13)
1) Where is this memorial bench in Chandler’s Ford?
“In loving memory of the Pitt family from 1905” [Read more…] about Chandler’s Ford Saturday Guessing Game (12)
1) Where can you find this sign in Chandler’s Ford?
Image credit: Stuart Roberts [Read more…] about Chandler’s Ford Saturday Guessing Game (11)
1) Name the current business on the far left. What was it before that put Chandler’s Ford on the national news?
1) There is a new shop at the Fryern Arcade. Do you know what it sells? What was this shop before?
Guess the business next to Fryern Stationers and the D & G hardware shop. [Read more…] about Chandler’s Ford Saturday Guessing Game (9)
1) What are these ‘things’? Where do you see them? Do you use them?
Hint: Question 1 and Question 2 are linked.
1) What’s this? Where can you see this?
1) What’s the missing word on the sign?
We have erased the name of a school on this sign. Do you know the name of this school?
[Read more…] about Saturday Guessing Game (6)
1) There are not many brown road signs in Chandler’s Ford. Here is one – but we have erased its white letters for you to guess what the ‘tourist information’ is about. Do you know where the sign is found?
Where can you find this notice in Chandler’s Ford?
S59 Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014
‘It’s an offence to continue to drink alcohol when asked not to do so by a Police Officer …. Failure to comply may lead to arrest and a fine upon conviction.’ [Read more…] about Saturday Guessing Game (4)
It’s our third Saturday guessing game with 3 mystery photos.