Beware of a late frost in May. Keep tender plants protected at night if there is a frost forecast.
Bedding plants should not be planted until the middle of the month, otherwise you could lose them if we have a late frost.
- Keep on top of the weeds by hoeing the borders & clear up the weeds. Do not put them on your compost heap.
- If it’s dry & you have a problem with ground elder or similar, attack it with a systemic weed killer that you paint onto the leaves.
- Remove the heads from narcissi & tulips as they go over & give them a feed of bonemeal. Let them die down naturally before clearing them away.
- Plant up pots, containers & hanging baskets in the middle of May, for a blaze of colour throughout the summer & make sure that they don’t dry out if they are against the wall in a sheltered place.
- Remember that the tendrils & side shoots of sweet peas should be removed to encourage longer stemmed flowers. Deadhead & pick them regularly for repeat flowering.
Happy gardening everyone!