In October, remember to treat the lawns to an autumn feed, taking care to read the instructions on the box first.
Continue to cut the grass until the end of the month.
- If you want to keep the tender plants over the winter, now is the time to bring them inside to a frost free environment.
- Continue to keep the garden generally tidy by cutting down the finished perennials, removing any frosted annuals, and weeding. Leave some seed heads for the birds. It is still lovely in the autumn and winter to look out to a nice tidy garden.
- Fork over the flower beds adding mulch if required.
- Tulips should be planted towards the end of October to the beginning of November.
- Once the leaves start to fall, they should be cleared from the lawn, and small plants, also don’t forget the gulley around the edge of lawns and borders.
- Check out the garden centres, as they will be selling Roses and shrubs for planting in the autumn. Always follow instructions on the label before planting.
Happy gardening everyone!